Friday, September 9, 2011

Mississippi River Day 17 (MS Keto campsite, 228 miles)

I went through Jacobson town early today, which was quite a disappointment. The only real thing in the town was a gas station bait shop, so I bought some little debbies and kept going.

It was a slow day, and I took my time. I stopped by a campsite for lunch, but it was too buggy, so I kept going. I had planned on staying there for the night, but there was a 300 yard stretch from the river to the camp that was marshy, so I decided against it.

As I was rounding a bend in the river I saw a huge turtle laying on the bank. At first I thought it was dead, but the eyes were still glistening, and when I splashed it it moved a bit. I think it was likely sick or dying, since there was a bunch of algae growing on its back, which can't be healthy. I also saw some sort of water snake, except this snake was sitting on top of the water, and seemed to move by water tension, rather than swimming.

I ended up missing the Ms. Keto campsite, and I didn't see any signs, so I just found a nicely forested area, and made camp for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment