Friday, April 5, 2013

FLT Day 24: Chestnut leanto, 17 miles

Well, today wasn't quite the day I was expecting. The weather has been warming up bit by bit, which is nice.

My original plan for the day was to stop at Tamarack leanto, about 6 miles earlier than I did. On the way there I met a father and two kids who were out enjoying the weather. They said there was still a bunch of snow up there. I figured it wouldn't be too bad, although ice was a bit of an issue.

The main thing once I got to the leanto was that there was still 6 inches of snow, and it was really windy near the top of the ridge. It was only around 4:00 anyway, and I got pretty cold even just sitting there for a few minutes. So instead I just kept going.

It worked out to my advantage quite a bit. The next shelter was in much worse condition, but much better location. There was a stream flowing right in front of the shelter, no snow on the ground, and located in a very sheltered spot. I ended up having a nice fire for the evening and staying plenty warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment