Sunday, April 14, 2013

FLT Day 33: Burt Hill leanto: 19 miles

I woke up to a snowy morning. In the middle of April fortunately none of it was sticking, but the air was still cold enough for snow.

Most of the day was uneventful, maybe with more roadwalk than other days. On one of the roadwalks a local called to me, asking if I was hiking that Appalachian Trail. I told him it was actually the Finger Lakes Trail, but yes, I was hiking it. He warned me that I was off the trail, but that it started a few miles down the road, and gave me directions. It seemed like one of those smile and nod situations. I knew where I was based on the map, and where the trail was. He also warned me about bears and coyotes before I managed to find a nice way to leave.

My backpack is really showing it's age. My left hip stabilizer snapped. I wasn't even turning or twisting. It seems like that would have happened after a full resupply, rather than now when my bag is empty. I'll have to look into a replacement after this hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment