Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pinhoti Trail Day 18

This morning I met a scout troop from southern Alabama. They were out getting ready for Philmont, which is where I will be working for the summer. One of their leaders was apparently the head of the Conservation Department the first summer that I worked there, when I was on a conservation work crew. Also, one of the other leaders has a son who has been working at Philmont the passed few years, so I'm sure I've run into him as well.

I stopped for lunch at a large waterfall, that was engorged with all the rainfall of the passed few showers, so it was nice to look at. Unfortunately the trail forded the swollen river just downstream of the falls, which wasn't very fun. It was a nice spot for lunch, especially since it was the last reliable water for the next 26 miles or so. I filled up what I could, and drank as much as I could, so I would be all set.

The rest of the day was spent climbing up to a ridgeline, and then following that ridgeline for the next 14 miles or so. The whole afternoon I was within 100 yards of the top of the ridgeline, just heading south with the mountains.

322.7 miles down

No comments:

Post a Comment