Friday, December 2, 2011

Mississippi River Day 101 (Mile #548, 1842.5 miles)

I had a rude awakening this morning as a very loud barge decided to park right near my camp about an hour and a half before dawn. I figured I wasn't going to get any more sleep, so I broke camp and pushed off into the pre-dawn river.

I hit the town of Greenville 5 miles in, while it was still mostly dark. The actual town was several miles inland, but I stopped by the boat ramp hoping for a faucet. There was an entire town park and camping area, but all the faucets were closed off, and the area seemed pretty abandoned.

About half way through today I noticed that the leaves have been changing colors the past few days. Its like watching fall in reverse, as I get farther south, there starts to be more color, and towards evening I even noticed a lot of green leaves that haven't changed at all.

It was still a long day, but I took breaks throughout the day, so it wasn't bad. I figured with the pre-dawn start I would get in a few extra miles, and this also lines me up for town tomorrow night pretty well. It will be a long day tomorrow, but that way I can take care of things in town while its dark out, and save some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment