Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pinhoti Trail Day 1

Today I spent most of the day in the van with Chuck Norris. He was giving me a ride from Plant City to the trailhead on the Benton Mackaye Trail, about 20 miles south of the Pinhoti.

He ended up dropping me off about 40 minutes before sunset, so I was able to get a start on the trail a bit, and had time to get to a shelter on the trail. I was planning on getting there anyways, even if it meant night hiking. The trail was actually quite nice, going by a bunch of mountain retreat homes and climbing along a bunch of nice streams.

The shelter was nicer than most of the AT shelters. Unfortunately the BMT association is limiting everything to only 2 shelters on the trail, keeping with a more wilderness setting.

One nice thing about the shelter is the register. There was another ECT hiker, "Lakeland" who passed through several days ago, going the opposite way, so I missed him.

Tomorrow I will be getting to the start of the Pinhoti, about 19 miles from the shelter.

2 miles down

No comments:

Post a Comment