Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pinhoti Trail Day 15

This morning I packed up with DAH, while two young turkey hunters wandered into the shelter wondering where the nearest road was. Apparently they had gotten lost following turkeys and wanted to get back out. We pointed out the trail to them, which hit a forest service road about a mile later. After I finished packing up I said goodbye to DAH, and then headed out, only to find the turkey hunters off-trail about a half mile later. I guess they had seen another turkey.

About 8 miles into the day I stopped at the Shoal Creek Ranger Station to ask them a few questions about the town and the trail. Based on their input I changed my resupply plans. Instead of resupplying at the Cheaha State Park, I would instead walk into town from the ranger station, to Heflin, which is about 3 miles away. I left my pack in the office and took off. It can be quite nice to walk without a pack.

Once I got there I did a quick resupply, but then had to wait an hour and a half for the library to open, so I could get in touch with the rest of the world. Then another 3 miles back to the ranger station.

After the ranger station I did another 7 miles, for a total of 15 miles of trail and 5 miles of roadwalk. I also got enough food to last for the rest of the trip, instead of having to stop at the convenience store.

I have roughly 100 miles left, and am planning to finish that in 5 days to get to Flagg Mountain in less than a week.

258.7 miles down

No comments:

Post a Comment