Tuesday, April 2, 2013

FLT Day 21: Foxfire leanto, 9 miles

Today was a pretty good day to be back on the trail. I don't think it ever got above freezing, but there was some sun. For the most part it was just windy.

Most of the day was hiking through snow, but two things made it better than the past couple of weeks. First, there were footprints most of the way, so I didn't have to watch blazes as carefully. Second, since the weather has been getting into more of a freeze and thaw cycle, I wasn't postholing at all. That made a huge difference in the speed for the day.

Partway through the day I was hiking through the Greek Peak ski area, and started hearing some strange noises, almost like a whooshing sound. A bit later on the trail I crossed an actual downhill ski trail, and realized that the noises were skiers flying by. I guess they are trying to stretch the season out as much as possible.

The forecast is for one more cold day, and then starting to get into the 40's and 50's, still below freezing at night. It will be nice to thaw out during the day, especially as the rest of the snow disappears.
IMG_3068

No comments:

Post a Comment