Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mississippi River Day 91 (Mile #778, 1549.5 miles)

I woke up to more rain, and a lot of wind. When I went to my canoe to get breakfast I found it was entirely underwater. Luckily I had taken the tupperware tubs out, and put them higher on the shore, since they have most of my gear in them. I found its really hard to pull a canoe full of water up onto shore. Some of my gear that was loose in the canoe washed away, including my 2 life jackets, 2 paddles, all but 1 of my water jugs, and a small towel I used for cleaning the boat. Luckily I found the life jackets and paddles washed ashore, but upstream of my boat. That just shows how strong the wind was.

After recovering my gear and waiting for the rain and wind to stop I pushed out, and managed to get a few miles in before the rain set in again. It seems like there is an upside to this though, with all the rain and rising water levels, the current has picked up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment