Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mississippi River Day 74 (Cape Girardeau, MO, 1301.5 miles)

We woke up this morning to a heavy fog, so we waited it out until around 10:30, still sitting around the fire talking. Zach offered me a different paddle, apparently the one I have been using is too small for me, and he had 2 extras. It seems to be working better, so I guess that's good. We had a bit of a headwind all day, but it wasn't too bad, especially with the current pulling us along.

I stopped in Cape Girardeau, since I had set up a couchsurfing hosting there, while they continued on to Commerce, another 13 miles or so. Hopefully I'll catch back up to them, but I'm not sure, they are both going faster than I would like to so I'm not sure if I will or not.

I ended up chaining the boat up to an old mooring post under a bridge, and walked to my host's house He was very nice, a graduate assistant at the local college. Besides the standard shower and laundry, he also took me to the weekly poker night. Its strange how nice a normal thing like that can be, when you have been traveling for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment