Thursday, November 24, 2011

Mississippi River Day 93 (Mile #689, 1638.5 miles)

I woke up to another hazy day, but it wasn't too bad, so I set out. Downtown Memphis passed by pretty quickly, and I realized that I had camped just a mile or two upstream from downtown. After those few miles I could have camped anywhere I wanted. Unlike St. Louis, which had a massive amount of barge traffic, Memphis was almost deserted. It looked like they kept all of the parked barges off in a side channel, so the main river was just like any other section of the river. It was a welcomed surprise, since I was anticipating having to dodge barges all day long.

In the afternoon the sun came out and warmed things up a little bit, making a pleasant day. I passed by a hunter on the shore, and he shouted a Happy Thanksgiving to me. I hadn't even realized it, so I was a bit surprised. Today was also my longest day so far, a full half century, plus a bit to find a campsite. It wasn't even bad at all, and I finished during daylight. There has also been an increased amount of small boat traffic in the past few days, so I guess its warm enough for people to still have boats out here.

My poison ivy is starting to heal, it did turn out to be full blown poison ivy rash in a few places, but the itch is going away by now.

And the best part of today was that I'm out of Tennessee now, and into Mississippi, at least on the left shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment