Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mississippi River Day 57 (Dutchman Island, 968.5 miles)

Today I slept in a bit, since I was planning on making a short stop in town in 2.5 miles anyway.

The wind built up over the course of the day, but it was coming from all different directions throughout the day. I wasn't even going around any major turns or anything, it was just a variable day.

While I was waiting out a bit of the wind I met some loggers who were logging the trees off of some of the islands. They were working in teams, with some of them cutting the trees, then another team floating them down the river to a dock, where another team pulled them out. It seems like this would increase the erosion on the islands, but I guess they are allowed to do it.

Towards the end of the day I ended up missing the island I was planning on staying at. I think the low water levels caused the side channels to actually close off, so I didn't notice the island. Instead I ended up a few more miles downstream, at a larger island. This one even had houses on it, but I don't think anyone was there, because there were no boats at their docks.

No comments:

Post a Comment