Monday, October 17, 2011

Mississippi River Day 55 (Brass Island, 920 miles)

Today flowed by, after a bad start. A few miles in I hit a lock, where I realized that I lost my hat. I either left it at the campsite, or it blew out of my boat. Luckily it was just a wide-brimmed hat for sun, and not my insulated hat. I'm not sure how much more I'll actually need the shade, since the weather has been getting colder. Down to 30 degrees last night.

I spent most of today in back channels, since there were long stretches that connected through. This kept me out of the wind, and away from the barges. It was much more enjoyable, and reminded me a bit of the headwaters area.

I hit the second lock late in the day, where Troy had said he would be working. He probably was, but I didn't see him at all. After passing through that lock I actually got a bit of a tailwind, so I took advantage of it for a longer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment