Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Mississippi River Day 42 (Jackson Island, 709 miles)

I slept in a bit today to wait for the fog to clear, and then headed out. It was warm today, but not as bad as yesterday. I'm still trying to take advantage of the Indian summer I've been in for the past couple of days to push out a few extra miles. That way, if I get a particulary nasty day later on, I can just wait it out. I figurue that the weather will be getting a bit worse as I go, so I'd rather do more miles on a nice day now. Also, 18 miles would have put me in the middle of the lake formed by a lock, so I had to go a few extra miles anyway to find a campsite. The lock was at mile 24, and the wind was picking up, so I was glad to be getting close to done. After that I just had to go downstream a bit to find a nice spot and set up camp. I'm a bit sore, but after a while it all fades away and the miles just slide by.

No comments:

Post a Comment