Friday, September 2, 2011

Mississippi River Day 10 (Tamarac Point, 116.5 miles)

Today was another long Lake day. It was still very windy, and of course the wind wasnt going the same way I was. This was Lake Winnie, or Lake Winnibigoshish, which the guy on Lake Irving had warned me about. I had to go around the south side of the lake, which meant that even though I only made 13.8 miles of progress, I probably went more like 20 miles around the lake total.

However, it was still a very nice day. It seemed like every time I looked up there was another bald eagle flying around. At one point I stopped and saw 2 red headed woodpeckers, but didnt have my camera with me then. There were also a lot of sports boats and fishermen, but no one really came close enough to talk to.

I stopped for the night at Tamarac Point campground, which apparently is only open for the Spring months, so I had the whole place to myself. It faced west, so I was able to watch the sun set over the lake, which I had spent all day paddling around. I am definitly looking forward to more actual river tomorrow, but tonight I am falling asleep to the comforting sound of waves against the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment