Monday, September 5, 2011

Mississippi River Day 13 (State Hwy 6, 158 miles)

Last night I was woken up at 11:30pm by two ATV'ers who shined their headlights right at my hammock. Their conversation, with their engines both going, went something like this: 
I think we're lost.
No, we're not lost, we're right next to the river, see the campsites.
?
Oh yeah, it looks like someone was camping here.
Oh wow, it looks like someone is still here!
(even louder) Sorry guy, we got a bit turned around!

grrr.

Then at 1:30am I was woken up by a train, and again at 3:30am. What a night

This morning was very foggy, so I couldn't even see the shores of the river. I checked the temperature, and it was 37 degrees in the morning at 7:00. That was compared to 83 degrees at dusk at smiling joes, a few nights earlier. Hopefully the bugs are all dying, but I doubt it.

I stopped by Schoolcroft state park for lunch, and then missed the campsite that I was planning on staying at. I think it was in a marshy area off of the river, and I didn't see it. So I continued on, and ended up staying a few miles further, just past a road, in a very nice secluded spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment