Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mississippi RIver Day 26 (Island 37, 375 miles)

I woke up to a bit of rain, so I waited until it cleared up before I got going. It still managed to mist throughout the day. Not enough to feel like rain, but more than enough to leave you soaked. I ended up hanging my hammock for the first part of the afternoon while the mist turned into actual rain, and then kept going around 4:00.

The river seemed more active today, with more churning water and a bit of a faster current. It was a nice change to the river, especially with the mist obscuring the banks for a large portion of the day.

Towards evening it cleared up more, and I even ended up seeing the sun for a bit. The right hand bank changed between a military base and a wildlife refuge for most of the day, so I wasn't sure were I could camp without getting yelled at. Instead I managed to find my own private island for the night. On the map it was labeled as Island 37, but I'm not sure why. I don't know if they label them going upstream or down, or from what starting point. Anyhow, it was quite peaceful, especially knowing that absolutely no one would be waking me up, since there was no access to the island by land.

No comments:

Post a Comment