Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mississippi River Day 37 (Island, 599 miles)

Today was a rough day. According to the weather channel there was 25-40 mph winds, with gusts up to 50, and a severe wind advisory. Not a fun day to be on the water. Luckily it was a tailwind, or I wouldn't have gotten anywhere. I would have stayed in camp, except that town was only 4 miles away, so I figured I would try for that. I spent those four miles turned sideways, and let the wind just blow me downstream. I could paddle towards either bank, but as soon as I tried to turn straight the wind pushed me back sideways. I barely made it to the town landing, but was able to pull the canoe up on the bank a bit to get out of the waves. Once onshore I met a motorcyclist who saw that I was getting tossed around, and said he was having the same problem, and with the same conclusion of spending time in town.

I spent some time wandering around town, but there wasn't really a whole lot there, so I just went to the library. I took the chance to do some research into towns downstream, and got photos uploaded, so the day wasn't a complete waste. The library closed at 5:00, so I left around 4:30 and went back to my canoe. It had also been raining a bit off and on, so I had to bail some water out before setting out. I mainly just wanted to get outside of town to set up camp, but the wind was still at my back, so I let it blow me downstream for awhile.

A long day for only 9 miles, but I didn't have to paddle most of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment