Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mississippi River Day 16 (Jacobson campsite, 211 miles)

Today I got an early start, planning on a longer day. Even still, it seemed like an easy day, since there was no wind at all today. It was quite nice, especially after fighting with the wind for a while on previous days. The miles just seemed to flow by.

I was planning on stopping for lunch at Swimming Bear campsite, but there was no sign, and I was past the campsite before I realized that I missed it, so I just kept going, and had lunch on the river.

It was about 2:00 when I got to the actual Jacobson campsite, but I found out that it was a pay campground, so I just grabbed water and went on a little ways. About a mile further I found a nice pine forest, but it was up a steep bank. I ended up climbing up, and tying a rope to a tree so I could easily get up and down. I also found a nice sandy ledge to have a small cooking fire in, and I didn't even have to worry about burning down the forest.

Right after dinner I was looking down on my canoe from the top of the bank, and saw a big turtle swim right underneath the canoe. Unfortunately my camera was down in the canoe, so I knew if I went to grab it I would have scared away the turtle. A couple of bald eagles throughout the day rounded out my wildlife for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment